Wednesday 25 May 2011

The Confidence Interval: Your Piece of the Pie

You get invited for an interview, you are scared but by default, you convince yourself that you are the right candidate for the job. You will do whatever research about the company, its people and even equip yourself with those interview sound bites everyone pretends to hate. This is happening to me as I write this. A top FMCG company has just invited me for a second round of interviews. Not to brag but this did not come as a shock. I’m confident in my skills, I know what to bring into an interview situation and truth be told, the first round candidates did not pose a threat to me. Even though I was and still am, I’m up against some really book smart people, I’m convinced the company is after a well-rounded candidate with a myriad of business skills and I have that.
This time however, I only have myself to measure up against. The moment I heard about the interview, I started planning what I was going to say to prove to them that they should hire me. Granted I really want the position: excellent graduate programme, being fast tracked into managerial positions, assistance with professional engineering registration oh it’s a dream! Of course I want it.
This however, got me thinking about my worth: why was I so ready to impress these people? They have what I want, rather, they have what I think I want but have I really thought about what I’m going after? Is it really what I want? I bet a lot of us do this when we want something. We mould ourselves into what the other party wants but rarely do we look at what we want.
The working world is changing. People are becoming more and more life-work balanced. Doing the work you love maximises the worth you feel about yourself. Stake your claim, if that doesn’t work out, do it again in until you find a company that will back your values. This is not philosophical mumbo jumbo by the way.  I’m not a ‘lie on the couch and lay it all out ’cheerer either.  All I’m saying is don’t always conform to what is required, sometimes just decide who you want to be and look for a place that accommodates that. I bet it will lead to a lot less job hopping, plotting against your boss and animosity towards a guy who gets promoted because he befriends the right people. Eventually, you can be in the job you love and not have to pretend you enjoy golf! Believe it or not, employers want people who understand themselves, so wealth and worth are not mutually exclusive at all.  As for me, I’ll put on the pretentious suit but when it comes to impressing, forget the traditional bargaining power balance, I’ll be staking my claim! Will keep you posted though!

No comments:

Post a Comment